Q2271

 

Задания 10-17

 

The White House

 

For more than 200 years, the White House has been known as the symbol of the President’s administration, and of the United States.

The history of the White House began when President George Washington signed an Act of Congress in December of 1790 which declared that the federal government would live in a district «not exceeding ten miles square on the river Potomac.» The creation of the new American capital began. Later it was named Washington after the first American President.

George Washington, together with the city planner Pierre L’Enfant, chose the place for the new president’s home.  A competition was held to find an architect to design the President’s House. Nine proposals were handed in, and architect James Hoban won the competition. He proposed to build an impressive three-storey house.

The construction began in October of 1792. Although President Washington watched over the construction of the house, he never lived in it. Originally the White House was grey and was called the Presidential Palace. In 1800, when it was nearly completed, its first residents, President John Adams and his wife moved in. Ever since, each President of the United States has lived in this residence.

The Presidential Palace was seriously damaged in the great fire of 1814. The British invaded Washington and burned many buildings. After the war James Hoban, the original architect, partially rebuilt the President’s home. To cover the marks of the fire, the building was painted white. At various times in history, the building has been known as the President’s Palace, the President’s House, and the Executive Mansion. President Theodore Roosevelt officially gave it the name of the White House in 1901.

The White House is the president’s private home and each president has made his own changes and additions in it.  At first the president’s office was located in the living area, on the second floor of the White House. When Theodore Roosevelt brought his large family to the White House in 1901, he felt that his office and his home should be completely separated. Two wings were added to the first floor of the building: the East Wing and the West Wing. The President’s Office was moved into the West Wing and was called the Oval Office.

In 1805 President Thomas Jefferson opened the house for public tours. However, since September 11, 2001 the public tours have been prohibited.

There are 132 rooms in the residence now.  For recreation, the White House has a variety of facilities available to its residents, including a tennis court, a jogging track, a swimming pool, a movie theatre, and a bowling alley.

The garden around the White House was first planted by John Adams, the first resident of the White house. Later it was redesigned by many presidents and their first ladies. The part of the garden outside the Oval Office is used now as a place for official ceremonies.

 

 

10. All the government members approved of the place for the new capital.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

11. The President’s House was built according to George Washington’s design.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

12. George Washington was the first resident of the new President’s Palace.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

13. The White House had several names during its history.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

14. President Theodore Roosevelt enlarged the territory of the White House.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

15. Nowadays the White House is open for tourists on week days.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

16. The White House offers different sport facilities to its residents.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

17. The garden of the White House presents a rich collection of exotic plants.

1) True

2) False

3) Not stated

 

 

 

Аудирование Чтение Языковой материал Письмо Говорение