Прочитайте текст с пропусками, обозначенными номерами 1 – 8. Эти номера соответствуют заданиям 1 – 8, в которых представлены возможные варианты ответов (А, B, C, D). Установите соответствие номера пропуска варианту ответа.
Your Future World
What will you be doing in 2025? Will you be living in an undersea research station? Will you be the chief engineer (1) ______ a bridge across the Atlantic Ocean? Will you be leading an (2) ______ to the planet Mars? Will you be …?
You can daydream, of course, but nobody knows exactly what the world will be (3) ______. But scientists have made some guesses.
Based on the advances made, they believe people will be healthier. Diphtheria, malaria, tuberculosis, polio and many other killers are under control now. These diseases are on the way out, (4) ______ to germ-killing chemicals, new ways of finding out about our bodies, and new ways of providing clean, safe (5) ______ and water.
Healthier people live longer, so we can expect the world’s population to (6) ______ sharply. It may double in the next forty years! This brings up a serious problem: how will we find food, water, and minerals for such a huge population?
Scientists are at work on some (7) ______. From the ocean they hope to get new fertilizers to increase the yield of the soil; new chemicals to kill crop-destroying insects without (8) ______ other animals, new sources of water or supplies of food.
- A) inventing B) designing C) scheming D) doing
- A) exploration B) expenditure C) expedition D) exhibit
- A) like B) alike C) likely D) likable
- A) as a result B) because C) on account D) thanks
- A) eat B) feed C) food D) cooking
- A) decrease B) distract C) dissolve D) increase
- A) solutions B) alternatives C) preferences D) questions
- A) hurting B) harming C) injuring D) wounding