White monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal
The ancient city of Vladimir was founded in 1108 by the Kiev Prince Vladimir Monomach. It contains an important group of monuments. The Cathedral of the Assumption was intended to be the ___RELIGIOUS___ centre of all Russia.
It was built in the town Kremlin as a single-domed structure with the façade ___REMARKABLE___ for its carved reliefs.
Most of the 12th-century frescoes were destroyed by Mongols, but new mural ___PAINTINGS___ were added in 1408 by Andrei Rublev and Daniil Chernii, in particular the famous Last Judgment.
Suzdal, which lies some 25 km north of Vladimir, was the site of a ___SETTLEMENT___ in the 9th and 10th centuries, which became a fortress. A posad, which was housing craftsmen and shopkeepers, developed around it.
Within, dominating the whole town stands the Cathedral of the Nativity with its five-domed top and Golden Doors. The interior ___DECORATION___ is important in Russian art.
The buildings in Vladimir and Suzdal have been the centre of ___CULTURAL___ tourism for several decades and a good deal of restoration has been carried out.